Wednesday, May 2, 2012


Hey Everyone!
My name is Megan Dunn and I am from Waterloo, IA. I am a second year at Wartburg double majoring in Spanish and International Relations. I am so grateful that I have had the opportunity to come to Denver for May term. My internship I have for three weeks is with a non-profit organization called Rights for All People (R.A.P.) or en español Derechos Para Todos (D.P.T.). RAP is in Aurora, CO which is about twenty minutes east of Denver. R.A.P. works to bring the voice of immigrant leaders and their allies to the struggle for equality within the Denver area. R.A.P. has about 500 members and strives each and every day to increase its members while fighting against injustice. The past two days that I have worked with R.A.P. has been amazing. I have been tweeting for R.A.P. (follow us @RapDenver), went to a rally/march on May Day for International Workers’ Day, and have been warmly welcomed by the RAP staff.


R.A.P.'s logo 


SEIU gathering at the rally in a park down town for International Workers’ Day
            
So far, my short time out here in Denver has been quite adventurous and eye opening. The first day in Denver using public transportation was very nerve racking. I had not been that nervous since my high school senior year softball games. All of these thoughts were running through my head like, “What if I get on the wrong bus?” “What if I miss my bus?” “What if someone sees how nervous I am then starts making fun of me?” Want to know the way I coped with these nervous thoughts? I talked to a citizen of Denver at each and every bus stop, bus ride, and crosswalk (approx. 10). I was not surprised to find out every single one of these people were more than willing to help a strange, talkative girl from Iowa who had no idea what she was doing. At one point in time, I asked for directions in Spanish. Profe Montgomery would be so proud. You all are probably wondering if I missed my bus or ran into any difficulties. Thankfully, I conquered the routes of Denver public transportation from the Wartburg West apartments to the RAP office with the assistance from the friendly citizens of Denver.  Lesson learned; ask questions if you are unsure about something! 

No comments:

Post a Comment