Friday, May 4, 2012


Hello from Denver!

My name is Cody and I am a second year Computer Science major from Cushing, MN.  I would like to talk a little about my placement here and what I have been up to for the first week.  I am helping out at a wonderful organization called Focus Points Family Resource Center.  They are located in northeast Denver and provide a variety of services to low-income immigrant families in the Denver area, with more than 75% being of hispanic descent.  Below are a few pictures of their facilities and programs.  I have been helping out and observing in their ESL classes as well as their pre-GED programs, both for adult students.  They also have a variety of Early Childhood Education programs for children and their parents from birth until 5 years old.  But my little pet project for them actually doesn’t deal directly with any one of these programs.  I have been working hard conducting interviews and taking footage of their programs and putting together their first ever promotional video!  Jolene, my supervisor at Focus Points, has been wanting to create a video for over 10 years, but hasn’t had the means.  She was ecstatic to hear that I have video production experience, as well as my own equipment and we are excited to see the result in the next couple weeks.  The people I have been interviewing have been such interesting people to talk to, and have really broadened my perspective in regards to the immigrant families in the United States.  Hopefully the completed video will be uploaded in the near future to show off what Focus Points does!  In the meantime, enjoy the photos below that show what I have been working with for the past week. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment